"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind... We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith." -- Margaret D. Nadauld

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Some Things Never Change

My wonderful seester, Red, posted a bunch of old family pictures on Facebook. I took the liberty of lifting one of them (I hope you don't mind! I might sneak in and steal a few more!) With smiles and a few tears I was clicking through the pictures, reminiscing the fun we had as a family and WHAM!! There was this picture.


I couldn't help laughing. Hard. The comments on this photo were:

**Look at the hair on BOTH of 'em! I'm not sure which one is the most impressive. Valerie's for the size of it, or for the fact that Max actually has some! -- From my brother Googenheimer

Ahhh, yes, Goog, the hair. I loved my 80's hair. It took much effort to get the height and perfect curl to that 'do. It took me about 1.5 hours to complete that look. I would wash it, apply the mousse or gel, then blow it dry. Next came the hot rollers while I applied the make-up. Out came the rollers and a good brushing and then came the curling iron. Yes, I would re-curl my hair to achieve the perfect twists and bends for each follicle. Then came the best part of each hair-do. The hairspray. Half a bottle each day. No hair strand could move. If the wind blew, all my hair would lift as one big unit.

Hairdo's in the 80's were an art.

And Max? Well, look at that full head of beautiful red hair!! :D

**Other than the hair, some things never change!-- From my other seester Wees

It's sad to see that even then, all those years ago, I couldn't have a normal face for pictures. Don't ask me what I'm doing with my hand. It looks obscene. Maybe it was... I don't remember. Max and I have always been somewhat nontraditional and irreverent... mostly goofy.

*****************

Flash forward 21 years. This picture was taken last summer at Applebees.


Some things have changed!!! How many pounds have been added? How many of those hair follicles lost? I only use a couple sprays of hairspray now and have considerably cut down the primping time. No more hot rollers... no more curling irons.

Yet, it seems that nothing has changed at all!

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

Oh that is too fun. Don't you just miss that 80's hair ; )

Sarah Miller said...

I absolutely love the pictures!!! They made me literally laugh out loud! I think you guys have an awesome relationship, you are always to have so much fun together! Love you guys!!!

thorkgal said...

You were just babies in that picture. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Your son DOES look like his father, in a big way. And, 80's hair... really, how much of our life was wasted on it? Funny. As long as they don't bring back the high waisted pants... I'm afraid my boobs aren't as perky as they used to be. ;D