"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind... We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith." -- Margaret D. Nadauld

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Good Old Fashioned Comfort Food

Who doesn't love a good oatmeal cookie? Okay, Little Miss Doolittle is allergic to oatmeal and can't eat it in cookies, but other than that.... WHO DOESN'T LOVE A GOOD OATMEAL COOKIE!?! Especially when it's chock full of chocolate chips, or butterscotch chips, or chocolate chunks or some chopped up nuts, or M&M's, or toffee pieces, or ....

I draw the line at raisins though. Yuck. I have made the pledge -- a solemn vow -- that I will NEVER EVER EVER add a dried up, shriveled grape to anything that I bake. It's just too horrible to contemplate, to terrible to consider, too horrific to ponder... (shall I go on?)

YUCK!!!

Today's recipe is a standard-no-frills-down-home-good Oatmeal Cookie Recipe. It's the same cookie recipe that your grandma would make for your visit on a Sunday afternoon or your mom would make and pull out of the oven as you walked in the door after school. It's warm and comfortable and GOOD!!!

(I don't remember where I got this recipe from... sorry I can't give credit to the proper person!)

Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup crisco
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
(Some people prefer using butter but I definitely prefer using shortening in my cookies. I think the cookies spread less. However, you can't beat the butter flavor!! The perfect compromise is butter flavored crisco. Of course crisco sticks are totally easy to use.)

(Also, at this point I add a tsp or so water or milk to the mix. I like the added moisture it gives to the cookie.)

Beat in:
2 eggs

Add:
2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt



Stir until mixed together.

Add your yummies... Chocolate chips, etc. etc.

Place on cookie sheet


and bake at 350* for 7 - 10 minutes (or until done, which in my oven is about 11 minutes.)

(Don't let the cleanliness of my oven intimidate you....)

I made these cookies for my guys to take to their Father/Son campout. It was cold and wet and they had a great time!

Again I ask you:

WHO DOESN'T LOVE A GOOD OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE?!?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That was just darn right mean! I don't miss them all the time, but once in awhile a soft chewy cookie just sounds super delicious (and this was one of those times)!
I agree with you whole-heartedly on the raisins thing, except once in awhile a yummy filled with cinnamon and other goodness, super soft, oatmeal/raisin cookie just hits the spot :D

Unknown said...

Mmmm...I want one right now. I might make them if I have all the ingredients in my pantry. Yum!
I also hate raisins in baked goods. Sarah always makes cinnamon rolls and she makes a few with raisins for Ray. Yuk! It should be a baking crime!

thorkgal said...

I personally love raisins and craisins. I hope we can still be friends. :)

Yvonne said...

Sorry--I'm a raisin fan.

I love oatmeal cookies. I'll have to give your recipe a try.

Thanks.

Cheryl said...

YUMMY!! I am quite possibly looking forward to a nice fresh batch of them when I arrive on your doorstep in a months time :)