"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind... We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith." -- Margaret D. Nadauld

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Please Sir, May I Have S’more?

Some people tell me I’m a picky eater.

I guess I am. It’s easier and faster to make a list of foods that I like as opposed to the list of foods that I don’t like.

Fish – UGH!! If something filters air out of water to survive, it doesn’t cross these lips.
Pizza – I know!! Who doesn’t like pizza, right?
Spaghetti – Ditto to the pizza statement. I honestly think it’s the red sauce/marinara sauce. Blech.
Vegetables – I like some vegetables. Only the extra starchy/carby veggies though.

Just to name a few.

Monday night I had some friends take me to a Thai restaurant here in town. They have tried for YEARS to get me just to walk through the doors. Chinese/Asian food doesn’t sit well with me, plus I heard that Thai food has a lot of spicy curry in it… NO GOOD!! But since the parade we were attending was getting rained out and we needed to get dry, I agreed to go.

When the server came to take my order I just asked for a glass of water. But they brought me a small plate so I could do some taste testing. I was very brave and tried a few bites. I will admit, some of it was good, but there were also several bites that sent shivers down my spine. :)

Let me reiterate: I AM A PICKY EATER!!!

Brownies are something I am very picky about.

Call me a “Brownie Snob.”

I DO NOT and WILL NOT eat brownies that are made from a packaged mix.

Auck. Gack. ARGH!

I like brownies that are a little more “cake-y.” Meaning I like them fluffy and light. I don’t like brownies purchased from a bakery, or a grocery store bakery. They always look better than they taste and they are always thick and dense.

When I came up on this brownie recipe (Taste of Home) I was THRILLED with it! Not only is it fast and easy, but the brownies are light and fluffy… just the way I like them.

But a plain old brownie gets boring after a while. I needed to change them up. And I came up with what I think is a WINNER!!!

S’more Brownies!!

I know…… right?

Man, oh man….. they were a little bite of heaven right there in my kitchen. Seriously. They were gobbled up in a FLASH!

I encourage you to give them a try.

S’more Brownies
2 c sugar
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 c cocoa (I use Dutch cocoa)
1 tsp salt
5 eggs
1 c vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 c chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; beat until smooth. (I just use a wooden spoon. I don’t think you need a mixer to make this recipe.) Pour into a greased 13x9” cake pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350 ° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

(That is the basic brownie recipe that I got from Taste of Home. This is where I changed things up. S’mores made with Hershey Bars are good, but in my opinion, the best s’mores are made with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups!! So I decided leave off the chocolate chips and top 1/2 of the brownies with Hershey Bars and the other 1/2 with Reese’s.)

3 Hershey Chocolate Bars
1/2 bag of Reese’s Miniature Peanut Butter Cups
Chopped into small pieces

S'more Brownies (5)

1/2 bag of miniature marshmallows
3 – 5 graham crackers, broken into small pieces

BEFORE BAKING the brownies, liberally sprinkle the graham crackers and candy bars on top.
Start baking the brownies for 20 minutes.

S'more Brownies (6)The last 8-10 minutes of baking, however, carefully sprinkle the miniature marshmallows on top and finish baking. (You don’t want the marshmallows on top for the full 30 minutes of baking time. It makes them too hard and crunchy.)

S'more Brownies (1)

If you decide to share these yummy treats with your neighbors and friends, I can GUARANTEE instant popularity.

You will be everyone’s
favorite friend!!

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Make sure you use the full 30 minutes of baking time!

Yvonne said...

Hey, thanks for that recipe. They look yummy.

One of my children doesn't like spaghetti, but I seriously think I spaghettied him to death as a child. (We ate it a couple of days a week, every week--it really was one of the cheapest things to make)

But really, you don't like pizza???

Calvin said...

I can attest that the brownies were very good.

MamaChef (JM) said...

Oh. My. Word. Please make these for me. I am too lazy this summer to do anything for myself.