"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind... We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith." -- Margaret D. Nadauld

Friday, December 31, 2010

It's a Peanut Butter Sandwich... Cookie!

I think I should end 2010's blog postings with a cookie recipe, don't you? After all, tomorrow -- January 1, 2011 -- is the day we eschew all things sugary and decadent, throwing away all the left over treats and candies left over from the holidays. January 1st is the day that we look at our personal food pyramid and realize that the bottom, most important level, isn't fruits and vegetables the way the government says it's supposed to be. Unfortunately it has been changed to chocolate, caramel and cookies. This is the day we resolve to change it back to leafy greens, apples and crunchy carrots, washed down with big glasses of ice cold water on our way to the gym.

Before all that happens I'd like to share this sugary, decadent recipe with you! My sister, Red, made these cookies for us when we stayed at her house last month. They were SO GOOD!!! And they are absolutely PERFECT because they mix my two favorite flavors. (I seriously hope I can meet H.B. Reese in Heaven so I can personally thank him for realizing that peanut butter and chocolate CAN be mixed together!)

Red found this recipe here, on the Pioneer Woman's website.

It's another fast, easy recipe that uses a chocolate cake mix. Seriously, I had the cookie part mixed up in 3 minutes.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
•2 whole Large Eggs
•½ cups Vegetable Oil
•¼ cups All-purpose Flour
•1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix, 18.25 Oz

Icing:
•4 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, softened
•¾ cups Smooth Peanut Butter
•1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
•2-½ cups Powdered Sugar
•3 Tablespoons Milk

For the cookies:

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly whisk eggs and oil in a medium bowl. Mix in flour and cake mix until well blended. Roll into 1 inch balls and bake for 8-10 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cool completely on a wire rack.

For the frosting:

In a medium bowl cream together cream cheese, peanut butter and vanilla. Add in powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add in milk a little at a time until you get the desired consistency.

Spread about 2 Tablespoons of frosting onto the bottom of one cookie and then place another cookie on top, bottom sides facing in. Repeat with remaining cookies and frosting.

Note: Don't be stingy with the frosting! There is plenty!! I feel like I put tons between each cookie and I still have a lot left over. If you don't like "Double Stuff" Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies, then feel free to make 1/2 the frosting recipe.


If you don't make these cookies right away, I understand. The recipe will be here, with the link on the side bar, waiting for you.... maybe by the middle of February when your food pyramid starts shifting again!

4 comments:

thorkgal said...

The perfect match... peanut butter and chocolate. Mmmm.

Yvonne said...

I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE--I really don't want to try this because I know I will be hooked.

Wees said...

I think I'm going to make these today. Seems like the perfect self-medication for the "I-miss-my-college-kids-Christmas-is-over" blues.

Jill said...

Okay those were to die for!!!! Thanks nice neighbor!