"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind... We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith." -- Margaret D. Nadauld

Friday, August 13, 2010

Am I Old Enough For This?

My daughter is 18, a graduate of high school and a soon-to-be-student at Cosmetology School. She is my eldest child. I certainly don't feel much older than she is. I am, however, a logically thinking person and I know that there is absolutely no way I could be 20 years old and still be her mother. So -- logically speaking -- I am old enough to be the mother of an 18 year old.

Yet, when the 21 year old RETURN MISSIONARY came to the door tonight to take my baby girl on a date, my insides were screaming....

As I shook his hand and introduced myself to him, I was thinking, "Dude, we're the same age, do you really want to take my little girl on a date? Isn't that against the law?!?!"

Besides the fact that he must be some kind of miscreant for wanting to date such a young girl, he seemed quite nice and charming and completely friendly. So I swallowed my protests, put a smile on my face and told them to have a good time as I closed the door on them.

Then I ran to the mirror to take a look. Yep, wrinkles around the eyes, saggy bosoms, plenty of gray hair and a couple chins.... DANG IT!!!

It turns out that yes indeed,
I AM OLD ENOUGH FOR THIS!!!!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Here is another funny conversation that Inigo and I had yesterday:

"Mom, is Dad home yet?"
"No."
"Where is he?"
"I don't know. I haven't heard from him all day."
"Oh no! ...
Is he gone.....?
Is he dead.....?
(with mounting horror/concern in his voice)
IS HE IN PRISON!?!?!?
Because if he's in prison, that will make me cry!"

I had to ask him why he thought that Dad might be in prison, and he said that someone could accuse him of committing some crime....

I realized that he watches too much TV.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

With Adam as your son, I understand why you feel so young! Haha. Love that kid!

gelly said...

haha...Inigo is hilarious. You are right to suspect that the RM is a miscreant. Does he know she JUST graduated?? Maybe you should have her cap and gown hanging near the door when they come home, along with some of her favorite stuffed animals. Crazy!

Sarah Miller said...

You make me laugh!! It seems like kids are getting younger and younger, but yet they're supposed to be adults. Where does the time go? And does this mean that i'm getting older too? Yes, yes it does, the gray hairs that I regularly color and the aching hips tell me this all of the time.

Yvonne said...

I always think I am younger than I am--UNTIL I LOOK IN THE MIRROR THAN THE TRUTHS IS RIGHT THERE--NOT TO BE DENIED.

I hope she had a fun time.

That little Indigo is much too funny--I'm so glad you wrote that down.