"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind... We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith." -- Margaret D. Nadauld

Monday, July 12, 2010

Here We Go!!!


It's here!!!

I'll call it..

C-Day.... CAMP DAY!! Tomorrow morning -- bright and early -- I gather the young women of my ward together, bid farewell to my little family and go to the nether regions of my state where we will combat mosquitoes, wind, mosquitoes, burning sun, dirt and grime, mosquitoes and (hopefully) have the time of our lives.
This is the 3rd consecutive year I've been Camp Director. I think back to this time in 2008, when I was getting ready to go for the first time. I was in melt-down mode, completely freaked out, running around in circles, thinking I had a very important purpose. I was running list after list after list through my mind, wondering what items I had forgot and what activity I didn't plan for. Would the girls have fun? Did I have enough for them to do? Would I be able to handle the two emotionally challenged girls that were going with us? (Would I be able to handle using the gross bathrooms that are at camp for a whole week?!?)

I wasn't worried about feeding them... I had the MOST AMAZING camp cook you could ask for. I was so grateful for her, her organizational skills and her calm demeanor. Everyone should have a camp cook like Love-lee!

Last year we went to camp without our stake -- just our ward. Our stake has never done that before, so we were breaking new ground. We had to learn how to make sure each girl got the correct certification done... which was HUGE!! We had to plan each and every minute of every day. That's a lot of work. We shared all the cooking and cleaning up chores (I lost my fantastic Camp Cook to the Relief Society presidency). Thank heavens I had a SUPER assistant who kept telling me to BREATHE and to SIMPLIFY.

This year, we're having a stake camp again and surprisingly, I'm not stressed out. As a matter of fact, I already have all the camping gear, all the food, every incidental packed up and on it's way to camp -- A DAY EARLY!! Thankfully, I saved all my lists from previous years, so I had a good system of checks and balances, which made everything seem extremely easy.
So easy, that I have to wonder... WHAT DID I FORGET!?!

Hmmmmm..... I guess we'll just have to see. But for now, I'm going to have my husband take me out to one last dinner, then I'll come home, put my feet up and watch a movie.

And just RELAX.

This is the hairdo I got from the girls my first year.

(See ya next week!)

4 comments:

thorkgal said...

This really doesn't sound like you... no up to the last minute stressing??? Is our little girl growing up? Ha ha. Enjoy yourself. Can't wait to see you camp hairdo...

Unknown said...

I wish I was going to camp with you! I miss the good ol' days of girl's camp. I'll be going to camp next week but it won't be the same. Will you come be my leader?

BTW, have fun!

ginger said...

I'm sure your camp cook was great, but I'd have to argue that my mom was better. ;)

Yvonne said...

I haven't been an active participant at Girls Camp for a few years and I miss it. I did go last week on Saturday with my hubby because he was speaking at the Devotional. It was the first year at a new camp and I think it's going to work out great.

Camp Directors are AMAZING.