"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind... We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith." -- Margaret D. Nadauld

Friday, March 27, 2009

Kind of Quiet

Thorkgal commented to me how quiet this blog has been lately.

I guess it has been.
I have had a bit of a writer's block as well as a bit of a boring life. There hasn't been much to write about. However, I'm determined to write something today. It probably won't be fun or interesting, but there are a couple things rolling around in the empty spaces of my ole brain...



Owls:


I love owls. To me they are mysterious and aloof. They are also a bit scary. Once, when I was a kid, we were in the mountains of Montana hiking and an owl swooped down and tried to take our little dog. Thanks to the quick footedness of my mom, he was saved from being that owl's dinner and lived a long life of pampered luxury.

Now I have a pair of owls living in my neighborhood. I lay in bed at night and listen to them softly call to each other. It's amazing to hear. Yet, it's slightly ominous. I think: Why is there an owl out there? What is it eating? We don't live in the "country" where there are lots of various animals running around to feed on. We live "in town" where there are lots of house pets living nicely in people's yards. I have house pets living nicely in my own yard. I am terrified of letting my dog out at night. I'm afraid that the owl is going to swoop down and take her away. And even though my cat drives me batty, I can't imagine the horror of him being picked apart to feed the little baby owls I'm sure are going to hatch pretty soon. So I don't let him out at all.
These are morbid thoughts and probably over dramatic, but it's what runs around my brain at 2:30 a.m. when I hear these amazing creatures calling to each other.

Y.W.

We got the news last week that our YW board is going to be released this week. I AM SO SAD!!! I have loved serving with this group of girls and I'm not ready for it to end. I hoped and prayed that the new president would want me back... I'd take any calling: official eraser of the chalkboard, the chair lady, anything...
anything
but it's not going to happen. I am going to be released whether I like it or not.

The bright spot in all of it is that I still get to be Camp Director. I'm looking forward to that week in June that I get to have fun with all the girls.... one last time.
Pottery



My first pottery class has officially ended. I still have some glazing and firing that needs to be finished by next week, but other than that, I'm done!

I had a blast in this class. It was so fun getting my hands, face, hair, clothes filthy dirty each and every week. I didn't create a single piece of art, but created lots of little bowls. My favorite creation was a gravy bowl complete with a handle and spout. (yippee!)

Here's my little secret: I signed up for the next session of classes! Starting the end of April and into the first part of July, I will get to spend each Thursday night covered in mud again!! And the bonus is: Shackie and Thorkgal are signed up for the same class as well as the two ladies I took this class with. It will be fun to have such a fun group of people to hang out with each week. (Thork took the class before mine this semester and created some beautiful pieces. I'm excited to take the class with her so I can copy her!) ;-)

New Recipe


For mutual this week, our YW board threw ourselves a going away party.

I made these absolutely delicious cookies. Believe me, you want me to share the recipe and you'll be so glad you made them!!!

White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies


7 oz white chocolate baking bar

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

2 eggs

2 3/4 cup flour

1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam


Preheat oven to 375*. Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside. In a small heavy saucepan, heat and stir 4 oz of the white chocolate bar over low heat until smooth. Cool. (I did it in the microwave. It was fine.)

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.

Beat in eggs and melted white baking bar until combined. Stir in flour.

Drop by rounded teaspoons, 2 inches apart onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 7-9 min or until cookies are lightly browned around edges. Let stand for 1 min on cookie sheet. Transfer to wire rack and let cool.

Just before serving, melt the raspberry jam in a small saucepan over low heat. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of jam on top of each cookie. (oops! I forgot to melt the jam. It was fine.) Melt the remaining white chocolate until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. If necessary, refrigerate cookies about 15 min or until drizzle is firm.

ENJOY!!!!


********

I'm looking forward to Max being home all week next week!!

?
Inigo just made the announcement:

"I've got to go get some piercings!"
and
"I'm in a war right now."
Sometimes I'd like to get inside his brain. Then I realize it's better if I don't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture of the owl is stunning and freaky at the same time. The only owl I like is the one who figures out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

I bet Max will like it if you're covered in mud every Thursday ;}!!

Thanks for making me gain 10 pounds by reading that recipe, and for the next 40 I'll be gaining as I eat every batch I'll be making.

Yvonne said...

I can't believe you like owls after that experience with your dog!!!!!

I know YW releases are always tough.

The recipe looks delicious--better not try it because when I eat cookies or even dough I have no self-control.

Enjoy having your hubby home.

thorkgal said...

Writers block?... I think not.
Who knew that mud could be so addicting? I'm having withdrawls already. Thursdays will be my favorite!
Now about the request for piercings... it all started with the glasses, now he wants to accessorize I guess. ha ha